Music is an integral part of film. It starts films. It ends films. It runs through montages. Music is key to making films entertaining. Sometimes, the music in a film becomes better than the film itself. Martin Scorsese, a pioneer of music in film, made Bringing Out The Dead, the best thing of which was probably was the score.
Here's a list of a few films which had brilliant soundtracks in the decade before the one we are in now.
10. The Twilight Saga: New Moon (2009) - The music in this movie is definitely better than the movie itself. It features tracks from Muse, Thom Yorke and Death Cab for Cutie. It's too bad you have a story getting in the way. My advice; buy the CD instead.
9. The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (2004) - This is one of the most relaxed, soothing but bouncy soundtracks I have ever heard, or is that seen?
There are instrumental compositions from Mark Mothersbaugh, Paco de Lucía and the Sven Libaek Orchestra. Devo is featured. As are old but brilliant, Joan Baez and Iggy and the Stooges. Even Brazilian singer Seu Jorge, who you probably have not heard of, features. His David Bowie covers are moving. I don't think any Wes Anderson film can boast a better soundtrack.
8. High Fidelity (2000) - John Cusack's character makes a great mix tape. It's better than any Michael Cera mix tape. I love Scott Pilgrim vs The World - but that's not because of its soundtrack.
7. Juno (2007) - Speaking of Cera, this movie's music is enjoyable. Cera's character, who is basically the same person in every film he is in, made a mix tape in Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist, but, as said, that did not match the tape in High Fidelity.
Juno has a better selection of songs; it is as simple as that. Barry Louis Polisar's "All I Want Is You" and the Moldy Peaches' "Anyone Else But You," are both sweet. e film's tension between precocity and naivete.
6. Vanilla Sky (2001) - Cameron Crowe's first love is music and his films show it. Almost Famous, Vanilla Sky, Fast Times at Ridgemont High and even Elizabethtown had great soundtracks. Remember, Elizabethtown was a woeful mess but it's soundtrack was very good. Radiohead and Jeff Buckley feature prominently in the film. I love these bands and the creepy sounds chosen from them here, work well.
I also read that Crowe placed Sigur Ros in the film three years before Steve Zissou used the Icelandic masters.
5. Garden State (2004) - This soundtrack is exceptionally well-composed. It features the likes of Simon and Garfunkel, The Shins; who Natalie Portman's character speaks about, Remy Zero, Coldplay, Iron and Wine and, a man who is getting more praise posthumously, Nick Drake.
4. Once (2007) - This is a really sweet soundtrack about falling in love. It's a film which stars a real musician in The Frames' Glen Hansard, who deserves more awareness and praise for his talent; at least more people could benefit from his beautiful music. Steven Spielberg rated this film highly, and he rarely says things that are not valuable, aside from him endorsing Shia LaBeouf, who annoys me.
3. Lost in Translation (2003) - This soundtrack works well against the performances of the few characters in the film. Brian Reitzell of French geniuses, Air, was in charge of this musical masterpiece. It also has five songs by Kevin Shields, including one from his group, My Bloody Valentine.
Allmusic.com gave the soundtrack four out of five stars. It said: "Coppola's impressionistic romance Lost in Translation features an equally impressionistic and romantic soundtrack that plays almost as big a role in the film as Bill Murray and Scarlett Johansson do."
2. O Brother, Where Art Thou? (2001) - This film is good but its soundtrack was incredible. It's an amazing country album. You could say it is covered in alternative country brilliance. This is from the likes of Emmylou and Gillian.
1. Almost Famous (2000) - This soundtrack is top of the list because it is so memorable to me. Every song works to capture an idea of the rock 'n' roll of the 1970s.
It is not just full of commercial artists but rather songs that feed the film's story with intense power. You have to sing-along to "Tiny Dancer".