Thursday 28 April 2011

Box Office Preview: 28-04-2011

Welcome to our weekly preview of all the latest films that will be opening in local cinemas this weekend. Our duty is to inform you on what to see and what to avoid so that you don't spend your hard earned money on duds that should've never been given the production greenlight in the first place. Check out the full list of new releases after the jump.

Arthur - Director: Jason Winer. Starring: Russell Brand, Helen Mirren, Jennifer Garner, Greta Gerwig and Nick Nolte. Distributor: Warner Bros. Pictures. Age Restriction: 10LM. Running Time: 108 Minutes.



Yes I know Russell Brand is an annoying man-child with possibly the most irritating British accent known to man. Yes I know this film pretty much tanked in the US and the critics didn't like it either. But still, for some reason, I want to see it based on this trailer alone which actually looks quite funnny. I'll probably end up disappointed but I'll give it a try nonetheless and so should you.

Thor - Director: Kenneth Branagh. Starring: Chris Hemsworth, Natalie Portman, Tom Hiddleston, Stellan Skarsgard, Colm Feore, Ray Stevenson, Idris Elba, Kat Dennings, Rene Russo and Anthony Hopkins. Distributor: Paramount Pictures. Age Restriction: 10VM. Running Time: 114 Minutes. 



I think I pretty much said all that I had to say about Thor in my previous post about the film and I have nothing more to add. I will reserve any further judgement for after I have seen the film. If I am served humble pie then I will gladly eat it but the odds of that happening are very remote.

From Prada To Nada - Director: Angel Garcia. Starring: Camilla Belle, Alexa Vega and Kuno Becker. Distributor: Lionsgate. Age Restriction: 10M. Running Time: 107 Minutes.



Oh dear! To quote one of the comments on the YouTube page where I found this trailer: " This movie has more cheese than a four cheese pizza with extra cheese." It clearly is just an Hispanic version of the tried and tested riches to rags film sub-genre that's been done to death and beyond a million times before and it really doesn't get any more generic than this. Avoid at all costs!

Get Low - Director: Aaron Schneider. Starring: Robert Duvall, Sissy Spacek, Bill Murray, Lucas Black and Scott Cooper. Distributor: Sony Pictures Classics. Age Restriction: 10L. Running Time: 101 Minutes.



This looks be the most intriguing film coming out this weekend by some distance. It has an interesting premise with a very talented cast to boot so I'd recommend you give it a try if and when you can.

No comments: