Tuesday 24 May 2011

Sitting In The Dark


When I first watched Batman, the one directed by Tim Burton, with Jack Nicholson as The Joker, I thought there might have been something wrong with my eyes. The theatre was dark. The movie was dark. In all, my experience of that movie was that although I could hear everything pretty darn well, I couldn’t see a thing. It was just too, well, dark.



The problem surfaces from time to time. Parts of Wolf I couldn’t make out. The Dark Knight had some moments of me hoping I didn’t need glasses. Turns out I’m not the only one though.


According to The Globe, what might be to blame are lazy projectionists.


That and a Sony digital movie projector, and the lens needed for 3D films. In order to be dashed off your chair by the illusion of flying arrows or chucking daggers, a special lens is required for the ‘two rapidly alternating, polarized images that make the 3D effect work’. Theatres across the States are getting progressively dimmer for 2D shows, as the lenses are not being switched.


Some of the reasons for the lack of switching are blamed on intricate processes, and delicate machinery, not to mention plain old laziness.



So the next time you’re watching what looks like a dark screen, it might just be the projector lens that’s at fault. On the other hand it could be Tim Burton.



Which were some of the ‘darkest’ movies you’ve seen?

No comments: