Thursday 7 July 2011

Thursday's Cheese: Can't Stop The Music



I'd almost forgotten this movie. Actually I had forgotten it. But when I was a lot younger I used to watch this movie to dance along to it. And it's easy to see why. Starring The Village People, yes the Indian, the Cop, the Cowboy, the Dodge-a-rama dude and the Construction Worker in this their first and only silver screen outing. Don't believe me, watch the trailer.




I couldn't believe it when I saw it tucked away in the DVD store. But there it was, with it's neon light flashing.


Proof that even directors like Alan Carr (Grease) can get it wrong, this is a non-stop cheese fest. Let me take that back. Alan Carr did get it wrong again, have you ever sat through Grease 2? Don't. It's also an opportunity to see Bruce Jenner way before he ended up as a bit part in the daily drama of the Kardashians. Sad to say this was his only film role, and was hot on the heels of his Olympic glory and before he succumbed to the plastic surgeon.


The film's plot is loosely based on the Village People's rise to fame. All in all it's rather silly, and the roller skating (note skating not blading), disco tunes and tiny short wearing dancers all add up to a glimpse into the decade that taste forgot.


It's all very camp as well, and not surprisingly has featured recently at the London Lesbian and Gay Film Festival.


Can you believe it?

No comments: