Monday 4 July 2011

Bridesmaids Better Than Sex And The City



Who'd have thought it? Judd Apatow's gross-out comedy for women has topped Sex and the City to become the top R-rated female comedy of all time.

According to the Hollywood Reporter, SATC earned a $152.6 million with Bridesmaids already coming in at $152.9 million. And that was before the Independence Day end of run.

This is somewhat reassuring. Somewhat in that I can't see any other female ensemble cast comedies waiting in the wings. Sure, we've got the drama, like the recent For Coloured Girls, and any number of similar 'he did me wrong' stuff, ditto the traditional romcom. But funny women together? Let's see if this marks a change. I won't hold my breath.

Dare I even ask, do you think female comedies are funny?

No comments: