Tuesday 23 November 2010

Memorable lines from films

While in the bathroom today, a line from a film came into my head.

"In the army, we wash our hands. In the marines, we don't piss on our hands," the line read in my head.

It turned out that I had the line completely incorrect. I could not remember the film it was from either but I knew that, inside, it meant something. It actually comes from the 1998 smart thriller, "The Negotiator".

Chris Sabian, played by Kevin Spacey is trying to get Danny Roman, played by Samuel L Jackson, to release hostages.

Roman says, while on the phone to Sabian: "Omah, A marine and a sailor are in the bathroom taking a piss. The marine goes to leave without washing up. The sailor says 'In the navy they teach us too wash our hands'. The marine turns to him and says (Omah joins in) 'In marines, they teach us not to piss on our hands'. Then, there is a gunshot.

Instead of worrying about having the incorrect quote in my head, I remembered why I had a quote from the film living in my mind at all. The Negotiator was a very enjoyable, well-crafted film. The chemistry between the two leads, Jackson and Spacey, was impressive - and I have seen the film about 15 times. It is probably on TV so often because other people rate it as if not more highly.

So I decided to look search through my brain for other interesting dialogue memories.

Here's what I came up with:
Filmsite.org helped to fill in the blanks in my memory.


The Matrix - Tank, a skilled programmer, to Neo, on the breakfast they are eating: "Dozer makes it. It's good for two things, degreasing engines and killing brain ... So you're here to save the world. What do you say to something like that? ..."

"As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be a gangster."
GoodFellas (1990)

"Hail to the king, baby."
Army of Darkness (1992)

"Ssssmmokin'!"

AND

"Somebody stop me!"
The Mask (1994)

"Mr Freeze, the heat is on" - Batman and Robin (1997)

Jules - "Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."
Pulp Fiction (1994)

"Good morning...Oh, and in case I don't see ya, good afternoon, good evening, and good night!"
The Truman Show (1998)

"Vanity is definitely my favorite sin."
Devil's Advocate (1997)

"Some people say it's forgive and forget. Nah, I don't know. I say forget about forgivin' and just accept - and get the hell outta town."
Grosse Pointe Blank (1997)

"What we do in life echoes in eternity."
Gladiator (2000)

"Are you not entertained! Are you not entertained! Is this not why you are here!"
Gladiator (2000)

"I - drink - your - milkshake! (slurping sounds) I drink it up!"
There Will Be Blood (2007)

"Want to know how I got these scars? My father was a drinker and a fiend. And one night, he goes off crazier than usual. Mommy gets the kitchen knife to defend herself. He doesn't like that. Not one bit. So, me watching, he takes the knife to her, laughing while he does it. He turns to me, and he says: 'Why so serious?' He comes at me with the knife - 'Why so serious?!' He sticks the blade in my mouth. 'Let's put a smile on that face!' And why so serious?"
The Dark Knight (2008)

Alistair Anderson

No comments: